ALS and Marijuana
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or (ALS) is a disease affecting nerve cells in both the brain and spinal cord which causes a person to lose control of their muscles.
Some clinical trial data indicate that THC one of the active chemical compounds in cannabis may slow the progression of ALS because it has antioxidative, anti-inflammatory, and neuroprotective properties. Those properties can be applied in managing symptoms of ALS.
Marijuana alleviates symptoms resulting from ALS like:
- Managing Pain
- Muscle spasms (tightening or contraction of muscles)
- Loss of appetite
- Drooling (think cotton mouth)
- Quality of life improvements
Benefits of cannabis for ALS:
- Analgesic (pain relieving)
- Muscle relaxing
- Saliva reduction
- Appetite stimulation
- Induce sleep
- Slow progression of the disease